Configuring of backups and adding new directories

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
TheSNK

Configuring of backups and adding new directories

Post by TheSNK »

I have configured a number of backups that I have split among my drives so that I can perform backups that will completely consume the day. I have about 8TB of data to back up.

I have selected only the directories off the root that I want backed up, skipping the recycle bin and folders such as that. If I were to add a folder to the root drive will I then have to go into the backup job and manually add it? If so, that would be very error prone for me and I will miss backing up data.

If what I described above is the case, is there a more proper way to configure this?

TheSNK

Re: Configuring of backups and adding new directories

Post by TheSNK »

I believe I have partially answered my question. I went on the drive and added a directory at the root and it did not include it in the sources when I looked at the job detail.

I am think I have to select the whole drive and then add exclusions? That seems tedious but I will do what needs to be done. Is there an easier way to do that?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If you add a drive or folder in the backup sources, all new files and folders created under that drive/folder will be automatically added to the backup sources (as being part of the main drive/folder)

TheSNK

Post by TheSNK »

Thank you for the response. So to make sure I understand correctly. If I had the following selected in the backup configuration:

E:\ [Partially Checked]
[ ] $RECYCLE.BIN
[ ] Email
[X] Games
[X] Music
[ ] Temp

Then say 1 month later I added a folder so now it is:

E:\ [Partially Checked]
[ ] $RECYCLE.BIN
[ ] Email
[X] Games
[X] Music
[ ] Temp
[?] New Folder (Will this be backed up?)

I will not have to go into the backup configuration and update it to backup 'New Folder'? I can wrap my head around anything under a fully selected folder or drive but what about partially selected off the Drive or a partially selected folder and another file or folder is added in that location?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Yes, that is correct. "New folder" will be included in backup.