Change Destination Type to existing Mirror Location

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
cwinchell

Change Destination Type to existing Mirror Location

Post by cwinchell »

Hello,

We currently have a Mirror destination using a "Local Hard Drive" (This is a mapped drive). The backup has mirrored our data successfully and we have roughly 5TB of data in the backup destination. We have switched from "Local Hard Drive" to "Network". The destination is the same, the method in calling the destination has changed. Previously, Z:\files, we now use \\0.0.0.0\share\files.

In making this change, the mirror backup appears to have "broken"... instead of backing up to the old ..\files folder, it now backs up to a ..\files(1) folder and appears to be attempting to replicate ALL 5TB of data again.

Can you please tell me how to get the software to continue to write to the OLD "files" folder, while keeping the new UNC path settings?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Change Destination Type to existing Mirror Location

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please delete the backup job from Backup4all and open the .bkc catalog file from the new location.
You will be asked if you want to change the backup destination to the new location, select yes and the backup job will be recreated with the new location as destination.
Go to Statistics View (F3) and press "Calculate statistics for next backup" option to see if only new files will be backed up.

cwinchell

Post by cwinchell »

Just to be clear...

The destination location has not changed on the network.
The .bkc file exists in the folder: \\0.0.0.0\share\files.
The network path points at: \\0.0.0.0\share\files.
The mapped drive Z points at: \\0.0.0.0\share\files.

Our backup was set as local (Z:\).
When we changed the backup to network unc path (\\0.0.0.0\shares\files), the same job ran and created a mirror(1) folder and attempted to mirror all 5TB of data again.
Now we have this folder structure ->
\\0.0.0.0
. shares
. . files
. . *bkc
. . . mirror
. . . mirror(1)

Following the process you've outlined, there is no "new" place to move the bkc file. The old and new destinations are the same place. I just want the application to backup to the current "mirror" folder instead of attempting to create new folders like mirror(1).

Do I still proceed with the process you've outlined?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

The easiest way to solve the situation is to follow my instructions from the previous reply. Just delete the backup from Backup4all and open the .bkc catalog file for that job from the backup destination. The backup job will be recreated, no backup versions will be lost.

cwinchell

Post by cwinchell »

Hello,

I followed your instructions, though the outcome differs than what we were hoping for.

I deleted the backup job from Backup4All in the GUI.
I double-clicked the .bkc catalog file for the job (which was already sitting in the same, correct, directory).
Backup4All GUI opens and loads the file.
There is no prompt to change the destination to the new location as the location has NOT changed.
I press F3 and run the "Calculate statistics for next backup" and it appears as though it is calculating stats from the files(1) folder instead of the original files folder.

Any other suggestions to get this to continue its backup to the original backup folder "files"?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

What is the exact name of the .bkc catalog file in destination?
Please open Backup4all, go to View->Open Folder->Initialization folder.
Close Backup4all and open the .ini file for that job.
Are the following fields indicating the exact file name for .bkc as the one in destination?
DEST_BKC_NAME=
CACHE_BKC_NAME=

cwinchell

Post by cwinchell »

Hello,

The exact name of the .bkc catalog in the destination is "Secure Logs".
The following are the fields in the .ini file for that job:
DEST_BKC_NAME=Secure Logs.bkc
CACHE_BKC_NAME=Secure Logs(1).bkc

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please follow these steps with Backup4all closed:
1. Open the .ini file and correct the following line to be:
CACHE_BKC_NAME=Secure Logs.bkc
2. Save and close the .ini file.
3. Manually copy the "Secure Logs.bkc" file from the backup destination to the cache folder:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Softland\Backup4all Professional 4\bkcFiles\
(you can move or rename the existing catalog files with the same name and with (1) suffix )
4. Open Backup4all and calculate again the statistics.

Do you still have the problem?