Catalog File (.bkc) Size

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
R_Edwards

Catalog File (.bkc) Size

Post by R_Edwards »

We use Fast Mirror backup to an FTP box w/ the Local Catalog setting. B4A also sends a copy of the Catalo File (.bkc) to the FTP box. These files range is size from 1.5MB to 9.0MB (the largest has 1121 as the number of backups). Is there any way to reduce the size of this Catalog?

Thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Catalog File (.bkc) Size

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can reduce the backup catalog size if you limit the number of backup versions stored in catalog to a lower value.

To limit the number of stored backups, go to Backup Properties->Type
We recommend you to set the limit at 3 or 5 versions.
Also uncheck the merge backups option to speed up the process.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

R_Edwards

Post by R_Edwards »

There is no such setting with 'Mirror' backup. Any other ideas?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Yes, you are right, I missed that point.
In this case, you can only use the option to remove excluded or deleted files from backup.
This option can be found in Backup Properties->Mirror page.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

R_Edwards

Post by R_Edwards »

I aleady have 'Remove excluded or deleted files from backup' plus the one under that 'Only if the source drive is available'
Again, it's not a matter of the files themself. It is the Catalog File. When I select 'Test' on the main toolbar, some backup jobs have over 1,000 entries dating back to 2008. Since this is a 'Mirror' config why even keep that many? Shouldn't the current files exactly match the backup files?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your last post. The Test window in Backup4all lists all backups performed for a specific backup job. The older backup executions could be performed years ago. In Test window you cannot see deleted or removed files.

R_Edwards

Post by R_Edwards »

[quote="Support"]I'm not sure I understand your last post. The Test window in Backup4all lists all backups performed for a specific backup job. The older backup executions could be performed years ago. In Test window you cannot see deleted or removed files.[/quote]

That is right. What I'm guessing at is the CATALOG is BIG because you are keeping track of backups performed over the life of the job. When backing up using a FULL/DIFF/INC method this history inside the CATALOG would be very important. But using the MIRROR setting I don't see the need to keep a running history of 1,000s of past backups.

If I were able to reduce this history inside the CATALOG that would reduce it's size. But as I am guessing at the contents of the CATALOG this may or maynot be possible.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

What is the total number of files in backup?
You can clear the backup (from Backup Properties->Advanced->Run action before backup) and run a complete Mirror again. That will remove the existing backup executions and a new one will be performed.

R_Edwards

Post by R_Edwards »

I backup each user's folder. We have 10 users.
Below is a list of each user's folder (# Files & Size)

ID # Files Size
------- ------- --------
User01 7,970 9.24GB
User02 2,081 1.82GB
User03 18,868 33.90GB
User04 3,798 3.68GB
User05 6,480 4.99GB
User06 7,819 3.25GB
User07 4,902 5.50GB
User08 11,143 21.30GB
User09 2,352 1.00GB
User10 10,947 1.18GB
------- ------- --------
Totals 76,360 85.86GB

It would take weeks to re-upload all our data.

R_Edwards

Post by R_Edwards »

I have not seen a reply to my request about reducing the size of the Catalog File (.bkc) [an SQLite based file with 12 tables]

After rethinking my question about reducing the size, I release why I asked the question. It was to save time backing up via FTP. How can I configure Backup4All to NOT upload this catalog. I have each profile/job set to "Use local catalog" under Advanced settings.