Cannot backup a specific open file

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
tranglos

Cannot backup a specific open file

Post by tranglos »

Backup4all Professional Edition 4.4 214 (registered user since 2006), Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.

I'm having trouble backing up a specific file which is opened by a running application. The option to back up open files is enabled, and the VSS service seems to be running fine. (It's a fresh installation of Windows 7; no A/V installed at the moment). At least Backup4All reports no problems so far when backing up open files in other folders (e.g. in Firefox configuration folder).

The error messages in the log are as follows. (OS messages are localized, so I've translated them back into English)

Cannot open file "E:\Stuff\ToDoList.stdl"
The process cannot access the file, because the file is being used by another process (TLFNFileStream.CreateFile) (srFileOpenError)
[2010-08-27 18:51:34] Continuing
[2010-08-27 18:51:34] Waiting for user input
[2010-08-27 18:51:59] Warning: Skipping file E:\Stuff\ToDoList.stdl

The file is a database file created by a program called Swift To-Do List (dextronet.com). The file is locked even for reading, ie it cannot be viewed in other applications, etc.

Is there a reason Volume Shadow Copy cannot be used to back up certain open files?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Cannot backup a specific open file

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Backing up open files has the following limitations: It works
- only on Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server, Windows Vista or Windows 7
- only for users with administrator access rights to copy open files
- only on local hard drives
- only on NTFS formatted partitions
- only if the VSS (Volume Shadow Service) is running and it is properly configured
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

tranglos

Post by tranglos »

Thanks for replying.

All the conditions you have listed seem to be met, except I am not entirely clear about the permissions of an administrator account on Windows 7. I am the only user on the computer and my account is in the Administrators group. However, I still get the UAC prompts, e.g. when launching Backup4All or applications such as RegEdit. However, my Backup4All jobs run from Windows scheduler, and of course no prompt appears then.

The problematic file in question appears to be a VistaDB database (which is a .Net-based db for Visual Studio). When the program is running, it seems to open the file in exclusive mode, so that even read-only access to the file is impossible. Does VSS overcome this as well?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please run Backup4all as administrator (right click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator).
Do you still have the problem?
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

avrycmbl

Post by avrycmbl »

This is something that I wasn't aware of before. So, I do have a question here: if you have Win XP and NTFS partition but don't have an administrator account, will I be able to copy the other files(other than the open files) in a normal way? This is a problem that a friend of mine has availed my help to deal with it.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

You need to have an administrator account to be able to back up open files.

Backing up open files has the following limitations: It works
- only on Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server, Windows Vista or Windows 7
- only for users with administrator access rights to copy open files
- only on local hard drives
- only on NTFS formatted partitions
- only if the VSS (Volume Shadow Service) is running and it is properly configured