Can B4A Do Archiving Rather Than Backup?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
HairyCactus

Can B4A Do Archiving Rather Than Backup?

Post by HairyCactus »

Hi,
Can B4A be configured to do Archiving? By "archiving" I mean that it is Always Adding to the destination disk and Never Deleting.

I want to avoid the common short coming of standard backup strategies -that is, when you realize that you've deleted a directory or file 6 months ago and your backups only go back 3 months, you are out of luck -no restoration is possible.

Rather, with an Archive strategy, you Can go back 6 months, or 2 years, or longer and retrieve those "missing" files.

The Archive function would necessarily have to do file versioning so that there is always the most current version as well as previous versions.

I realize that over time the archive could get very big. That is okay in our particular use case.

So, is B4A a good choice for Archiving, or should I be looking in another direction (suggestions are welcome)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Can B4A Do Archiving Rather Than Backup?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can use Backup4all for archiving.
The incremental backup type is recommended for you, as it will create a new zip file for each execution, keeping all backup versions in destination.
You can restore any version you want, whenever you need it.
No files are deleted from destination.

HairyCactus

Re: Can B4A Do Archiving Rather Than Backup?

Post by HairyCactus »

Thank you Adrian, your suggestion sounds like what I'm looking for.