Bullet proof daily/weekly/monthly backup help please

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
WCM

Bullet proof daily/weekly/monthly backup help please

Post by WCM »

Ok, let me be more specific on what I'm trying to achieve... please help me to setup a bullet proof backup strategy.

We have a relatively small volume of less than 200GB with a backup external HDD of 3 TB. (upgrading the storage is not an issue if needed)

what I want to do:

1- daily backup (once a day) that contain all changes/deletion (keep for 7 days for versioning)
2- have weekly backup that cumulate all changes done that week with latest version of all files including all the deleted folders and files, clean week old daily backup (dedupe would be awesome)
3- monthly backup (that I will take offsite) containing all the latest version of files including deleted files/folders. the monthly should include the library for that storage device.(dedupe would be awesome)
4- month start with a fresh backup set without those deleted folders and files.

... I'm sure you get the drift of what I'm trying to achieve. My boss want to be able to recover any files in time that was deleted. I think having the monthly with all those deleted files should do the trick.

Can anyone help me with this setup?

WCM

Re: Bullet proof daily/weekly/monthly backup help please

Post by WCM »

Anyone want to take a crack at this?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

I'm not sure if I correctly understand what you are trying to achieve.
Backup4all will copy all the new and modified files as they are at the current time. In order to have all the deleted files in one backup, you need to create a full backup of all sources before they are deleted.

In your case, you should run a full backup in the first day of the month and then weekly differentials and daily incremental backups.
You can use this scenario as a starting point and you can customize it to fit your needs:
http://www.backup4all.com/kb/backup-str ... s-131.html

WCM

Post by WCM »

Well, I did setup my backup as you mentioned. Here is the issue I saw this morning: My first monthly full ran on Saturday but the test folder I created and deleted after a few day 2 weeks ago is not present anywhere. It was before the cleanup and now it's gone.

This does not suit my needs to have a full backup that contain all changes including deleted files/folders that occurred during the month.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this pushing the limits on Backup4All functionality?

Also, how do I copy the latest full backup to an external media? Is there an export function for the last full backup (restore come to mind)??

So, my goal if to retain all changes that occurred during the month on the last full backup. Then, I will copy that ZIP monthly full to an external HDD that I will keep offsite.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

When setting up a Cleanup action, there you have the checkbox: "Do not delete full backups". Please make sure you selected it.

You should run a full backup again, you cannot export it.