BU4A Standard not starting (Crash) after update

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
KOPA

BU4A Standard not starting (Crash) after update

Post by KOPA »

Hi,

I updated Backup4All Standard yesterday (v4.7), and after backup it refuses to start with limited user account, and gives debug dump option.

Interesting thing is, that the software starts ok with an account that has admin power, but crashes when started with limited user account. I use BU4A to backup documents etc. for that limited account, and previous version has been running without any issues.

Install of update was naturally done with the admin account, and during the install I kept "for all users" option selected. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing whole package with boots in between, but that did not help. Repair install does not help either.

Previous version did run smoothly. Is there any link available to download earlier version 4.6.263 that used to run ok? I could try that.

System is Windows 7 Pro 64bit, with latest updates.

All help is very much appreciated.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: BU4A Standard not starting (Crash) after update

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us the bug report to support[at]backup4all[dot]com.
Also please mention the forum post link.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

KOPA

Re: BU4A Standard not starting (Crash) after update

Post by KOPA »

Problem was with the missing file permissions for non-admin account. Condition was due to the fact that during the update "override default file locations" selection was missed, and program was using default location, and the location was not readable for a non-admin account. Fix was to redefine file locations properly with an account that had admin permissions.

That solved the crash issue. Reason was quite well described in the debug log that was produced after the crash. ("Unable to open hst-file").

Unfortunately a new problem with skipping files (files not being backed up) has appeared with the latest release. Problem is similar to what is described on the forum regarding spanish letters, but this time with scandinavian characters Ä and ä. And not affecting all the files with those letters, just randomly to some of them. I'll add better description to related thread.