Broken backup repair.

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Xyzzy

Broken backup repair.

Post by Xyzzy »

This is not the first time I have similar issues with B4a, but this time after two days of struggling I have really enough.

After repairing backup using all the options in turn, I got eventually some files marked as to be backed up at the next backup execution. But this does not happen.
See attached screenshot showing files marked to be backed up and log of backup executiong showing no action.
And no, I won't send you bkp file - you can send me a debug version producing text output I could censor before sending back to you.

And please stop popping up these ISS information at every page visit - as far as I know it is just the lowest bidder who gets a government contract.
Attachments
Grafika_20200915173223.backup.zip
(2.78 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
b4k.jpg
b4k.jpg (63.16 KiB) Viewed 3286 times

Xyzzy

Re: Broken backup repair.

Post by Xyzzy »

It looks to me like for some reason B4a is not checking source when repairing/testing. It's like it thinks it has actual state of sources and compares this state with backup - I have not noticed refreshing source data when doing repairs.

Anyway, just to let you know - I've lost confidence in B4a (around v7 I think) to the degree that I run post-backup my own program to roughly check what B4a done... :/

Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Oh, and if you want me to run some queries on bkp - no problem.

Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

So, maybe a word how I got to this state.

I set up a new backup target server (same name, shares etc.) and recreated all mirror backups (like the problematic one) simply by running Repair.

In case of this one, I needed to terminate running backup. I did it by using Stop option or just by closing computer, don't remember now.

Now I am unable to convince B4a that there are still files to be backed up.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Xyzzy wrote:
> It looks to me like for some reason B4a is not checking source when
> repairing/testing. It's like it thinks it has actual state of sources and
> compares this state with backup - I have not noticed refreshing source data
> when doing repairs.
>
> Anyway, just to let you know - I've lost confidence in B4a (around v7 I
> think) to the degree that I run post-backup my own program to roughly check
> what B4a done... :/

Hi,

When running a repair, Backup4all will test all files in destination against the information stored in the backup catalog file. After that, the missing files will be included in the next backup, among with the other new or modified files.
So the repair includes the test part and the backup part. The sources are not affected during the repair.

Adrian (Softland)

Xyzzy wrote:
> So, maybe a word how I got to this state.
>
> I set up a new backup target server (same name, shares etc.) and recreated
> all mirror backups (like the problematic one) simply by running Repair.
>
> In case of this one, I needed to terminate running backup. I did it by
> using Stop option or just by closing computer, don't remember now.
>
> Now I am unable to convince B4a that there are still files to be backed up.

Hi,

If you just closed the computer, the backup process was killed by the OS, so in such a case no catalog was saved. The backup will start again next time you execute it.
If you stopped the backup by pressing the Stop button, the current file in progress is processed, then the catalog is saved. The backup will continue with the remaining files, next time you execute it.

Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

I contacted B4a support and they provided an advice to uncheck the "Smart file scanning mode" in backup properties.
This seems to work and the backup is progressing.
Still, I would expect Repair to handle such situations better.

So all is well that ends well.

Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Unfortunately this is not working in all situations.

Again I am stuck in some state, where I B4a does not properly synchronize catalog contents with what is actually in source/target.

Again mailed support.

B4a has issues with getting the Test/Repair options to work right - instead of checking what is in actually source/target and proceed accordingly, they process some broken/undesired state from bkp file, which results in the operations not working as desired.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

The Test action will scan all destination files against the backup catalog. If there are missing or corrupt files, the test result will indicate that.
The Repair action will first Test the backup (as described above) then it will update the catalog and will execute a new backup to include the missing/corrupt files.
If you chose to Repair only catalog, Backup4all will perform the Test and will only delete the missing/corrupted files from the catalog, without running the backup again.

The repair action helps you in case some files were not correctly backed up.
If for some reasons the source files are not visible for Backup4all, the Repair action does not help.

In your situation, if you have sources which are not included in backup even after disabling the "Smart file scanning mode", please check if those files are listed in Explore View of Backup4all and also check their permissions.

Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

So, B4a is not able to recognize files that are already in the target, unless they were backed up before.
You can not catch up the mirror backup with files already in the target.