backups to the cloud

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Steven Avery

backups to the cloud

Post by Steven Avery »

Hi,

It looks like you have chosen two sites for backup to the cloud in v. 5 that should have some supporting help instructions:

===============================================

My first attempt in the cloud is their Amazon S3 implementation. You end up in an arcane S3 world. I was able to create the access key and secret access key fairly easily. Then it wants a bucket, or says it will create one. Nahhh.. And the error messages are wrong (Backup4all says the name must be unique even when you offer a crazy name that is definitely unique).

"TVfs Error
Bucket names must be unique across the entire Amazon S3.
Please select another bucket name."

Maybe you are supposed to go into the Amazon Dashboard and implement policies, but that does not make a lot of sense (I set up one user in an attempt to create buckets, with similar results.).

Earlier Backup4all used a WebDrive product for these types of web backup (unless done with FTP or SFTP). This process is apparently now supposed to be more native not requiring the webdrive thing. So, why can't you create a bucket and if there is complexity can Backup4All give an accurate message?

==================

Similarly, Azure/OneDrive is supposed to have a key. And it is not obvious or clear how that is set up.

Steven

==================

I wrote about this here:

Backup4all discount on Upgrades [until 2015-03-01]
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/inde ... ic=40242.0

Adrian (Softland)

Re: backups to the cloud

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please tell us the name of the backup you wanted to create.
Can you create the same bucket name using another Amazon S3 browser?

Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Ok dokay.

It appears to work ok when I switch from Firefox to Opera.

Thanks.

=================

After six minutes it aborted:

[2/28/2015 2:01:10 AM] Connecting to cloud server failed (3): HTTP request failed with code 403, message is Forbidden

At least I got a very good log file, with a prompt to bring it up. Is this some type of file lock? Hm... naaah, no data was backed up and it looks like it only got to initializing.

It seems to be related to the arcane world of the access key.

=================

Steven

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Can you connect to Amazon using another Amazon S3 browser?
Did you check the password from Backup4all?