Backup types question

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
rly

Backup types question

Post by rly »

I can't tell from the language used to differentiate backup types which one to use. After my initial full backup, I want any files in the 'source' that are added OR deleted to be similarly added or deleted in the subsequent backups, such that the data in a given backup is then exactly the same as was in the source at the time of that backup. (Been using Karen's replicator up till now)

Thanks.

RussF

Re: Backup types question

Post by RussF »

We use a Mirror backup for all our workstations. It's not compressed, so it uses more space on the backup drive, but the advantages are that the files can be restored from the backup using just file explorer. The first time it backs up, it copies everything in the folders you select. Subsequent backups only copy those files that have been added or changed since the last backup. There is an option to remove deleted files with the Mirror backup - that option is not available with the other types.

As a side note, we consider the fact that it DOESN'T delete files by default a benefit. MANY times one of our users has deleted an important file on their PC (either accidentally or knowingly), and then realized they really needed it after a couple of backup cycles have elapsed. If we had our backup exactly shadow the PC's current state, those files would be lost forever. That, by definition, is why we make backups.

Russ

rly

Post by rly »

Thanks. Your argument for not deleting data in the backup makes sense. Haven't had a problem yet, but I may change our configuration.

Just to be sure, a Mirrored backup (with mirrored deletions) is what would produce a snapshot of the source data--getting rid of anything from the backup that was no longer in the source?

RussF

Post by RussF »

As I understand the manual, under the Mirror backup type, if you select the option to "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup", then any files that were previously backed up, will be deleted from the backup if they are deleted on the source. I have never personally used this option, as I said, we prefer to keep deleted files in our backups.

In addition to the ability to restore files by just copying them using File Explorer, if you select the "Fast Mirror" option, only those files that were changed on the source will be backed up. We have shared folders on our file server with hundreds of gigabytes of data, but they typically take 5 minutes or less to backup, as opposed to doing a full backup every time which could take half the night.

Russ

rly

Post by rly »

Thanks much.