Backup to two HDDs - changing drive letters

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
szucsati

Backup to two HDDs - changing drive letters

Post by szucsati »

Hi,

I use two hard drives to make incremental backups on them with Backup4All Pro. I followed the instructions and it works fine.

The problem is, because they are not external drives, but hot-swap SATA drives, Windows keep labeling them wrong. The drive label is O: (as off-site backup). If I set the partition to this drive, remove and reinsert the drive, it will get back the same label. If I swap drives however, Windows gives it a different label.

Now every day when I swap the hard drives I change the drive letter. It's quite inconvenient though. Plus it requires administrator rights and I will be away for a while. The person who will swap the drives while I'm not working has no admin rights. So I need to find a solution to this.

Is there any way to do this? I was thinking about writing a script and running it before starting the backup, but I couldn't figure out how I could change drive letter from a script based on the partition id. I could change one letter to the other, which worked fine until I used a memory stick and it messed up the drive letters.

Thanks,
Attila

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup to two HDDs - changing drive letters

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

That is a problem you need to fix outside Backup4all. There is nothing you can do in Backup4all to solve this problem.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html