Backup Performance

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
willia4l

Backup Performance

Post by willia4l »

Can someone pls help. I have been working backup4All 5.0 and having some performance issues. I am doing a backup across the network. Source machine Dual Core 64 bit 2.4ghz gig. network. >> Target system. Quad core 2.4 64bit 8gb, backup raid controller 5 disk raid5. My backup4all settings: Incremental, Zip No Compression, High Priority, No split of archive (tried 4.7 split perf. is worse), Store temp cat. in memory is checked. Source computer during backup 7% cpu, 1 mb/sec, net 9mbps, 50% mem free. Completed backup size 20GB backup archive takes 6.5 hours for the backup only. It is verifying or testing currently so backup will take longer. I know the inc. backup will be less when this full backup has completed but the full is taking a LONG time. Is there a Multi-thread option for this backup application? It seems like I am not restricted by the hardware or network. Or are there other application performance settings I can change to improve performance? Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I just found in the manual on Lan backups to check "Use alternate zipping mode" and Uncheck Use "Always use temp folder to create zip files"

I think I have some vaild performance questions:
1) Is there a multithread option for non compressed backups?
2) Why would creating small archive splits cause backup times to increase?
3) Are there any Network large block size settings within the application.
4) Can or does the application for full backups change the block size (auto or manual) and then default back for incremental?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup Performance

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Your backup speed is under our speed tests here: 50 GB per hour.

1. No, there isn't multithread backup feature.
2. The archives should be smaller, not very small. Backing up smaller files is useful in some cases in order to avoid filling all available memory.
3. The block backup options are on the Backup Properties->Type page only. No special settings for network.
4. You can manually change the block size. If the size is set to auto, Backup4all will determine the size of the block for each file.

willia4l

Post by willia4l »

Thanks for the quick response, the backup and verify took about 15 hours. Using other backup programs takes about 3 hours at the most. One is a imaging program, the other is just a file to zip program like this (it multi-threads). Incrementals are a lot better; but for large file likes email that change alot and small files like docs, pics and music it is WAY too slow.

What is your data sample like that you bench and base your speed tests on? I know machine and network very. I can bench the same data set with two other products and provide the results so that it is a apples to apple compairsion.

Thanks..

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We made a new update release these days, Backup4all 5.0.314, please download it and see if the backup speed is good now.