Backup of the backup archive to Backblaze

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
coffee1978

Backup of the backup archive to Backblaze

Post by coffee1978 »

I setup a Mirror backup from one local drive (K:) to another (X:). The backup settings include zipping with low compression, encryption, filename obfuscation. I then setup the Backblaze client (not B2!) to backup the X: drive.

The reasons for doing this are primarily the encryption and 'unlimited' storage in Backblaze. The encryption built into the Backblaze client is great for the data-at-rest on their side but is essentially useless during a restore - you must provide the password and they decrypt the data on their end, before allowing you to download it or before shipping the drive to you.

I ran a test where I backed up my data using B4A, then backed up the archive to Backblaze, restored the archive from Backblaze, then restored the backup from B4A. It worked mostly well:
1. Using beyond compare for the original files and restored files, nothing was missed (except for the defined filters).
2. Beyond compare did note that some empty directories were missing from the restored data, even though Advanced -> Backup empty folders was checked.
3. During the B4A restore, B4A complained about missing directories from the archive. Example: C:\TestRestore\foo\1\6\8\9\86\233\508. The original destination X:\Backups\foo\1\6\8\9\86\233\508 directory was empty, and Backblaze does not backup empty directories.

Am I correct in assuming that #3 the reason for missing empty directories in #2?

As a workaround, would it be problematic for B4A if I defined a "Run action after backup" script that added a "notempty.txt" file to empty folders under X:\Backups\foo\ ? It would force Backblaze to include the directory, but not sure if it breaks B4A. Or is there another workaround/fix?

Thanks!

Version is Backup4all Professional 8.9.352 (Trial).

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup of the backup archive to Backblaze

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Backup4all is able to back up empty folders to Backblaze.
Please send us the last backup log, the last restore log and the .bkc catalog file to support[at]backup4all[dot]com
Also let us know the name and path of such a folder which is missing.

coffee1978

Post by coffee1978 »

Please let me clarify my original post.

Backup4All is backing up from one local drive to another local drive only. B4A is not aware of Backblaze. I am not using B2 either.

I configure the Backblaze client to backup B4A destination. The issue is backblaze does not backup the empty directories in the B4A destination.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Setting up an action to run after the backup and put a file in each empty folder, will not affect Backup4all.