Backup Jobs dissappearing and Changing and Duplicating

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
biterg

Backup Jobs dissappearing and Changing and Duplicating

Post by biterg »

I have noticed that B4All is having problems managing my backup jobs.

Loosing Jobs:
=============

As several of my jobs are similar, I have been using the "Create Like" process and then I change the Name, the source folder and various other settings.

Now I am seeing some jobs being duplicated in the Job list, which I have set to show in Alpabetical order. I have been able to make ninor changes to the duplicates, by just adding "-B" and "-C" to the job names. Then I close B4all and re-start it and all looks OK. But I have lost one of my other jobs. It no longer showed in the list and I did not delete it. (Luckily I backup (with a copy file utility) my .INI files to a separate USB drive so I can re-create them).

Duplicating and Changing JobNames:
==================================

Also, I have seen the Name of some backup sets changed by B4all and think that I have discovered the reason for that happening.
Most of my backups go to FTP sites. One FTP site is a .info web name. Lets say it is FrogHopper.info In the system Tools/OPTIONS/FTP and I had the Configuration name (not the ftpsite name) set to something like "FrogHopper.info site"). Somehow the info part of the ConfigName was being pre-pended to the Backup jobnames when they had the destination set to that FTP site.

So, a job that was named "JobBBC 2 Froghopper" was having its name changed to "infoJobBBC 2 Froghopper" AND was being DUPLICATED. I have a screenshot showing this effect.

BiterG

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup Jobs dissappearing and Changing and Duplicating

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We found the problem and we fixed it.
In few days we will make a new release that will include the fix.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

joshm

Post by joshm »

I'm evaluating b4a using version 4.5 build 231 and am having this exact same problem. I created 4 backup jobs originally, but after the reboot one disappeared and one other one was duplicated. I corrected the problems and restarted the app only to have thing revert to a similar state.

One job was created and then the others were done using the Create Like feature. Was this specific problem fixed in build 231?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Yes, the problem should be fixed in build 231.
Can you reproduce the problem every time? If yes, please tell us the exact steps you make to reproduce it here and fix it.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

joshm

Post by joshm »

Well, I haven't been able to reproduce yet despite my attempts. Last time it occurred the program had locked up mid-backup (had to kill it) and when I restarted the job list had changed.

joshm

Post by joshm »

I was able to finally reproduce this issue. It seems to be present on Windows Server OS's where it's possible to have multiple desktop sessions via RDP and therefore launch multiple copies of the b4a GUI. I remoted in twice to the server and launched two processes of backup4all.exe and created a job on my second instance of the GUI. I then closed out of both and opened them both back up and my job was gone.

It seems to me that the professional version should run as a service, where scheduling and configuration is handled completely separate from the GUI. That way if multiple GUI's are launched at the same time, they're all still working from the same configuration. Are there plans to implement this?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please go to Tools->Options->General.
Select to use settings for "current user" only.
This way you can see the backup jobs only for the current account.
It is not recommended to use multiple sessions to remotely connect and start Backup4all.