Backup job stopped running...stuck in creating file list

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
jango_fett

Backup job stopped running...stuck in creating file list

Post by jango_fett »

First, my setup:

- Windows Server 2016 w/all the latest updates.
- Backup4All v8.5 w/the latest update.

I have a large repository of the usual personal things (ex. documents, photos, etc) which are backed up to a secondary drive using the Smart Backup feature. The backup job I use for this was created over 2.5 years ago and has been reliably working until a couple of weeks ago but I didn't realize this until a few days ago. When I bring up the Backup4all interface I see the job appears to be stuck creating a file list and the elapsed time is well over 24 hours. I bring up the Task Manager and notice there is a backup4all process running with a high amount of CPU time accumulated. I attempt to Cancel the job request but it doesn't do anything. After about 30 minutes I decided to kill all the backup4all related processes and try again. On the subsequent attempt it again seems to hang on creating a file list so I give up on it after about an hour.

I've done a search in this forum for similar behavior and tried a couple of things:

- Removed and reinstalled the program (I'm now running 8.5 build 272). Didn't help.
- Rebooted my host and tried the backup again. Same results as earlier.
- Shut all backup4all process down, moved aside my current "%USERPROFILE%\App Data\Roaming\Softland\Backup4all 8" folder, then restarted the backup. Same results as earlier.

The log files for the days that have not run show the following:

[2/10/2020 1:00:07 AM] UAC prevented settings SE_BACKUP_NAME privilege : Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller [1300]
[2/10/2020 1:00:07 AM] UAC prevented settings SE_RESTORE_NAME privilege : Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller [1300]
[2/10/2020 1:00:07 AM] Opening file "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Softland\Backup4all 8\Backup4all.hst"
[2/10/2020 1:00:07 AM] Error: Another action is already running on job "All_In_One"

Perhaps this suggests Backup4All thought a job was still running when there wasn't one?

I've verified the only software I've updated/installed on my setup over the past couple of weeks is the Backup4All update so I don't think there's a conflict with other software. As an experiment I create a quick-and-dirty Smart Job to back up a tiny portion of the directories included in my stuck job and it seems to work fine.

Any thoughts/ideas on where to investigate next?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup job stopped running...stuck in creating file list

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us all logs from this folder: "%USERPROFILE%\App Data\Roaming\Softland\Backup4all 8\Logs" to support[at]backup4all[dot]com

jango_fett

Re: Backup job stopped running...stuck in creating file list

Post by jango_fett »

Logs have been submitted.

Thanks!