Backup failure due to PC overheating and shutting down

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
lisaby

Backup failure due to PC overheating and shutting down

Post by lisaby »

I have a Sony Vaio under Windows 7. I just changed the location where I'm working. Today, four attempts to back-up failed because my PC overheated and shut down.
I've downloaded Core Temp which has an overheat protection feature which puts the PC to sleep. Maybe it will solve the problem.
Is there a way to re-start and continue a back-up which has failed under these circumstances?
Do you have any other advice as to how to deal with this problem?
Thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup failure due to PC overheating and shutting down

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You have to run again that backup. As long as it did not finish, the backup catalog was not saved and no information about that backup was saved.

lisaby

Post by lisaby »

Multsumesc, Basil

lisaby

Post by lisaby »

This post doesn't concern Backup4all directly, but it's a follow-on to my original post.

It turned out that the "Overheat protection" feature of Core Temp worked very well. When my PC overheated during a backup, this feature would quickly put it to sleep. This avoided having the built-in thermal protection feature of the PC turning on and shutting down the PC. When it shut down the PC, it also aborted the backup which was in process.

Better yet, I used my wife's vacuum cleaner to clean the intake and exhaust vents of my PC to try to remove dust accumulated over several years. It worked marvelously. The operating temperature of the PC dropped by 15° C and the cooling fan never reaches its maximum force anymore. Previously, it was at maximum force half of the time.