backing up secured folders

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
silver

backing up secured folders

Post by silver »

I have BU4A installed on a Windows 7 domain member workstation. The backup user is not an administrator on the domain or the workstation. The backup job includes folders on a mapped drive that the user does not have permission to access but the user is a member of the backup operators group. However, the detailed job log shows BU4A found these secured folders but did not find (and therefore did not back up) any of the subfolders or files they contained. At first glance, nothing in the log indicates a problem since the number of files found matches the number of files backed up. But if I compare the file/folder count an administrator finds using Windows Explorer to the count in the backup, there is a discrepancy. And when I examine the detailed backup log, the files contained in the secured folders are not listed.

If the backup user is a member of the backup operators group, shouldn't all files in the target get backed up despite the fact the user does not have permission to access the folder?

Can someone verify that they are getting backups of secured folders and files? Can you verify that your detailed log actually shows those files do get backed up? Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Re: backing up secured folders

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Backup4all can back up only the files/folders it can access. You should run the backup under a local user with access permissions for those folders.

silver

Post by silver »

Isn't that the purpose of the backup operators group, so the user can backup files they otherwise cannot access?

The article in your knowledgebase - http://www.backup4all.com/kb/what-are-b ... s-365.html - says "A member of the Backup Operators group can extract files and directories for which the user would normally not have access".

Does belonging to the backup operators group have any effect in Backup4All?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Yes, that is correct.
Please make sure those folders were not configured different in order to deny permissions for the backup operator members.