Admin rights necessary?

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
diethardw

Admin rights necessary?

Post by diethardw »

Hi, I had Backup4All running on a Win 7 PC with just one user with admin rights. Now I switched to a new hardware running Win 10, having a normal user and another admin account.
Now I find that Backup4All cannot copy open files anymore, e.g. from Outlook. That's pretty bad... Is there no chance to have the program (or services) running in admin mode?
Thanks, Diethard

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Admin rights necessary?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

One of the conditions to back up open files is to use an administrator account.

diethardw

Post by diethardw »

Dear support,

thanks for your reply, but you describe my problem, not the answer. I found that in general it is possible to start services as administrator. I started bservice.exe as administrator, it, but it did not work together with the backup4all program (it was not possible to start a job).
So my question (still) is: would it be generally possible to have (a modified) backup4all running in admin mode while being logged in as a normal user?
Thanks,
Diethard

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

If you are logged on as administrator, can you copy open files using Backup4all?
What about if you schedule the backup job in Backup Properties->Scheduler to run with the username and password of the administrator account even if you are not logged on with the admin account?

diethardw

Post by diethardw »

Well, thanks for the hint. I gave it a try, but...
I opened the time scheduler and set properties to user accound Administrator and "start whether user is online or not" (I use the German version, so I do not know the exact terms in English). And I set the Administrator password, and then "OK". If I reopen the box, the user account has switched back to my "normal" user, no Admin account. This seems to be definitely wrong.

While the job was running, the logfile says: "Es konnte keine Volume Shadow Copy erstellt werden. Die gesperrten Dateien konnten nicht kopiert werden. Der Benutzer braucht Administratorenrechte, um Volume Shadow Copy zu verwenden" - which means, no VSC could be created, user needs admin rights".

:-((

Adrian (Softland)

Hi, you need to set the username and the password of your Windows user account.

diethardw

Post by diethardw »

I did, but it makes no difference. I started the VSC service (which was not running automatically), but it didn't work either, because it could not create a shadow copy of outlook.pst.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

The Volume shadow copy service is part of Windows OS.
You need to fix the VSC service problem before trying to run the backup.
Please send us the last backup log to support[at]backup4all[dot]com