Opening BKC file, then doing backup does full backup

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
chut7

Opening BKC file, then doing backup does full backup

Post by chut7 »

I have 900gb of files to backup via LAN (wifi). Going over the network took forever (would've taken over a week), so I took the hard drive out of the destination computer, connected it internally to my source computer, then did a backup. Still took 2 days, but at least it was done.

I put that drive into the destination computer, opened the BKC file from the file share, said "yes" to update the destination, and am now trying to do a backup. It is set to Smart, but somehow it is discovering nearly the entire backup size, and is proceeding to backup everything again.

Indeed, I am able to see the same files backed up in 1_D001.zip as in 7_D001.zip (with same dates, file sizes).

What settings should I use so Backup4all can be smarter about this?

chut7

Re: Opening BKC file, then doing backup does full backup

Post by chut7 »

So I cancelled that backup, then tried forcing an Incremental backup. It quickly finished, and the log reported no files found. Then I tried the Backup (F6) option again, and it reported no files found. Strange. But at least it's working how I expect.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Opening BKC file, then doing backup does full backup

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Here is an article about how to do that: https://www.backup4all.com/backup-strat ... tp-kb.html

When changing the destination in such a case, please make sure the "Use local catalogs" option is not selected in Backup Properties->Advanced page.