Plex plugin enhancements

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
mph

Plex plugin enhancements

Post by mph »

I was pleased to see that the a Plex plugin was recently added to Backup4All, but I've found some problems with it that caused it not to work, at least in my setup:

1) The registry key that's backed up is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Plex, Inc." but the documented root, which works on my system, is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server\".

2) The folder backed up in the plugin is the default "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server" but this can be changed, and the correct value should be retrieved from the registry.

I created an XML file that addresses these issues and works for me:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<b4asource version="1.0"><!--Program unique ID (GUID)--><id>{A34A7262-4535-41DC-9994-6955BD05EC37}</id><!--Program name--><name>Plex</name><!--Executable file path--><exepath type="0"></exepath><!--Minimum and maximum versions for which the backup was tested--><minversion></minversion><maxversion></maxversion><!--Information about the plugin author--><author><name>Matthew Hunt</name><email></email><website></website></author><!--Variables used in the XML file--><variables><!--If type="reg" then the value will be read from the registry--><variable name="PLEXDATA" type="reg">HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server\LocalAppDataPath</variable></variables><!--The backup sources--><sources><source name="Registry" type="registry"><registry path="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server\" recursive="true"></registry></source><source name="Folder" type="folder"><folder>#PLEXDATA#</folder></source></sources></b4asource>

Sorry for the lousy formatting, but that's how it comes out of the Backup4all Plugin Creator, and I can't figure out how to turn on BBCode for this post. (It's on in my User Control Panel, but the sidebar for editing this post says "BBCode is OFF" and I can't find any way to turn it on.)

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Plex plugin enhancements

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Do you use a 32-bit version of Windows?
We don't have this key in Registry: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server\"

mph

Re: Plex plugin enhancements

Post by mph »

No, I'm using 64-bit Windows 10 build 2004.

That key is the documented key: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201105 ... -settings/

On Windows, the preferences are available in the registry. To access settings related to Plex Media Server:

Open the “regedit” application
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server\
Create a new entry named as per the options below and add the correct value, or else edit an existing value