Multi-threading support for Zip compression

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
justinhow

Multi-threading support for Zip compression

Post by justinhow »

Most good Zip type compression tools (e.g. 7-Zip etc) allow for using multiple threads/cores when compressing data. This allows either much more compression in a given timeframe and/or much faster compression speed.
As I understand Backup4All only uses a single core for compressing data so it is a bit limited for todays CPU's with 8+ cores.
You have settings for mult-threaded support elsewhere within Backup4All Iand I think compression just cries out for it as well.
Using B4All (v9.8 build 725) on Windows Server 2019

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Multi-threading support for Zip compression

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The multithreading option in Backup4all applies to upload process only and it can use multiple cores if necessarily.
I will add your request on our Wishlist, for multithreading while zipping the files.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Yes please! Multithreading should be added. Perhaps not only for zipping files, but overall. I was a bit disappointed to read that it was only added for uploading, where the release notes seemed to indicate that it was overall. Multithreading will likely speed-up the backup process greatly with modern computers. Backup4All currently lacks speed comparing to another backup program I use for imaging and backing up files and folders. That program takes 2h15m for a full backup including testing, where Backup4All takes 3h45m for the same backup. This is 66% longer. Therefore I currently only use Backup4All for cloud backups, which that other program cannot do.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, your suggestions are important for us.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html