Full backup after a set number of incremental backups

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
growling_bear

Full backup after a set number of incremental backups

Post by growling_bear »

Hi,

I'd like to able to set the number of incremental / differential backups before a full backup is performed. I know I could create a schedule to achieve this, but I trigger my backup from a single shortcut that backs up and then shuts down the PC - (more flexible than the option to backup at shutdown). So, an option like "Create full backup after XX incremental backups" would be useful.

I have seen the post here - support-trouble-f7/full-backup-every-x- ... -t188.html - but the solution given did not help as I do not wish to schedule my backups. The addition of this option would increase flexibility.

Many thanks,

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Full backup after a set number of incremental backups

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

At this moment, you can only use the options to "Automatically make full backup" if all increments exceed a given percent of the full backup size or if all increments exceed a given size. These options are located in Backup Properties->Incremental page.

We are already working to implement more features including the one you mentioned.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

growling_bear

Post by growling_bear »

Excellent news, that will be really helpful thank you!
Bob

rgeis

Post by rgeis »

Hello,

I am wondering if it can be set to limit the total number of full backups when running a differential or incremental schedule? I am aware of the limit backups setting but I'm not sure how to implement it with a scheduled differential backup.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

You cannot apply the limit only for a specific backup type. If you can tell us what backup scenario do you want to implement, we will be happy to assist you.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

rgeis

Post by rgeis »

Ok i'm still not quite sure on how the limit backups works with a differential. It seems like it was leaving the full backups which was taking up too much space. My backup goes as follows, weekly each Monday thru Friday run independent differential backups:

Backup type:
Type: Differential
Save storage space: Limit number of backups to 20
Merge Backups: No
Clear archive bit: No
Zip name prefix: none
Make full backup if the differential exceeds (%): 20% of full backup size
Make full backup if the differential exceeds (size): none
Compression level: medium
Do not compress files of type: *.zip|*.rar|*.mp3|*.avi|*.7z|*.gif|*.png|*.jpeg|*.jpg|*.mpg|*.gz|*.gzip|*.mov|*.swf
Always use temporary folder to create zip files: No
Use alternate zipping mode: No
Password: no password
Zip split size: Automatic
Create independent splits: No

I was thinking of lowering the limit number to like 15 which would still give me like 3 months or possibly scheduling a cleanup with these for anything older than x.

Again i'm not too sure on the difference between limit backups and scheduling a cleanup filter... what do you suggest so that I don't have multiple full backups after 6 months or longer?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

In your case, you need to use the limit for number of backups. You can set the limit at 15.

Each differential include all new and modified files since the last full backup, no matter how old is the full backup.
When the limit is reached, the last full backup is not deleted, as all differentials are based on it, but the oldest differentials are deleted.
The previous full backups can be also deleted when the limit is applied, but the most recent full backup is not deleted as that is needed for restore.

rgeis

Post by rgeis »

Thanks for timely response.

I understand differential backups and I believe understand the limit function now...
So with limit backup number, it will only delete the 1st full backup once all the differentials up to the next full backup are deleted right?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

That is correct.

rgeis

Post by rgeis »

Thanks very much.