Feature to backup individual or group of registry keys

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
hclass

Feature to backup individual or group of registry keys

Post by hclass »

Hi,

To me, anything created during the installation of a piece of software that is subjected to change (due to the use of the software) is a potential target for a backup utility like Backup4All.

Many software save their settings in Windows registry. Some take a lot of blood and sweat to get them customized to exactly the way one preferred, e.g. ACDSee, UltraEdit and what not.
Generally speaking, when a software offers a great amount of customize options, it will have a feature to export and import its settings. In a way, it seems not so crucial to backup settings of programs since there normally is an "Export and Import" feature in the programs themselve.

However, isn't it rediculous if after running a Backup4All task which is planned to (and suppose to periodically) backup EVERYTHING crucial, yet it always lacks the settings as mentioned above. i.e. in order to perform a perfect backup of "all crucial changes", one must run a Backup4All task then proceed to export every program's settings.

As of this writing, searching around the world, I can find only a single backup program that offers the feature to let user pick and include certain registry keys in a backup task! I am not going to name it here for I don't intend to promote a competitor program in this forum. Anyway, I also don't encourage anyone to use that backup program for it has serious user interface design problem (to an intolerable extend)

Seriously, I wish Backup4All will add the feature to allow backup of individual or group of registry keys.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Feature to backup individual or group of registry keys

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Backup4all will back up the applications and settings for a series of programs, using the free plugins we have on our website.
Your suggestion is already on our Wishlist.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

hclass

Post by hclass »

Support wrote:Hi,

Backup4all will back up the applications and settings for a series of programs, using the free plugins we have on our website.
Your suggestion is already on our Wishlist.
plugins can only cover limited programs...
Where is the wishlist?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please write the applications for which you need a plugin.
We will create new plugins.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html