Do not create full directory hierarchy in restores

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
tbalci

Do not create full directory hierarchy in restores

Post by tbalci »

Hi,

Apologies if that is an existing option - I just couldn't find it.

For the people who are using nested folders a lot, it will be easier if there is an option to restore files without creating the whole directory hierarchy. For example, if the "Project Document.md" file is backed up from "C:\Users\tolga\OneDrive\Documents\Personal\Projects" directory, the file should be restored under the -say- C:\Temp folder without creating the "Users\tolga\OneDrive\Documents\Personal\Projects" hierarchy.

Regards,
Tolga

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Do not create full directory hierarchy in restores

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can do that from Explore View of Backup4all if you right-click the files/folder you want to restore and you select "Restore latest version to". There you can specify the location where the file/folder to be restored.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

tbalci

Post by tbalci »

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I can do that.

My idea is _not_ creating the whole path.

Suppose that I backed up a file from C:\Users\tolga\OneDrive\Documents\Personal\Projects\Project.xlsx. If I choose the restore location as C:\Temp\Restore, Backup4all creates the whole directory hierarchy and restores the file as C:\Temp\Restore\Users\tolga\OneDrive\Documents\Personal\Projects\Project.xlsx.

My suggestion is to restore the Project.xlsx directly under C:\Temp\Restore, as C:\Temp\Restore\Project.xlsx.

Regards,
Tolga

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If you use the Restore Wizard, you can select multiple files to be restored and Backup4all will create the entire path, not to overwrite the restored files. That is how it works.
In case you want to restore multiple "Project.xlsx" files from different locations (you can do that with Restore Wizard), if no paths will be created the restored files will be overwritten.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html