Conditional Run Action

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
rjantigua

Conditional Run Action

Post by rjantigua »

Looking for the ability to run an action after backup that can detect if another one is already running. Not looking for depencies between jobs because I have about 10 defined jobs in two groups, and having to configure dependencies between them would be too complicated.

Algorithm is something like "Run action" if no other jobs running. If one is running then don't run the action and complete. Other features could be added, but again, it would get too complicated. Saw a suggestion that, after a job completes, it was to run the backup4all scheduler and kick off a named job or group, but that would be a maintenance nightmare for me as names, number of jobs, etc. may change over time.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Conditional Run Action

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please tell us the entire scenario you want to set up so we can understand what do you want to do.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

rjantigua

Post by rjantigua »

I have one set of jobs that backup personal files (incremental, differential, full, cleanup) and another set that backs up system files (incremental, etc.). Each group executes the standby (or shutdown) action after completion.

If the personal incremental job (pi) runs at 1am and system incremental (si) runs at 2am and the pi job runs a little long, the si job may be interrupted when pi executes the standby command.

I'd like to see an option where the pi job will check for any other backup4all job in progress and aborts the standby/shutdown command (or sleeps for x minutes). In this way the second job can complete without interruption.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

hi,

The shutdown process is not executed if other backups are still running.
You can use the shutdown after action for every group. The last remaining backup group that will end the backup will also shutdown the computer.
The other shutdown commands, when the backup is running, will be ignored.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html