Verify backup integrity before execution

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
pimjoosten

Verify backup integrity before execution

Post by pimjoosten »

The user manual describes the advanced backup option “Verify backup integrity before execution” as:
If this option is selected, the backup catalog will be also repaired after the current backup version is tested if there were files not correctly backed up or missing from the backup destination. Those files will be removed from the backup catalog and they will be backed up again next time the backup is executed.
If this option is selected, the backup integrity will be verified before running the new execution.

The help text shown when I hold the cursor over the (i) next to the option Verify backup integrity before execution in the backup properties states: “A test for all backup numbers will be executed before the backup”.

The help text and the second paragraph of the explanation in the user manual make sense. However, I find the first paragraph of the explanation in the user manual confusing. It seems to state that when this option is selected a test is performed after the backup has been completed and if errors are discovered, these files are removed from the catalog so that next time they will be backed up again. Isn’t what the first paragraph describes done with the settings “Test after backup” and “Remove from catalog all files with errors”? It also contradicts with the name of this option: Verify backup integrity *before* execution.

Do I misunderstand the first paragraph or is this perhaps an error in the manual?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Verify backup integrity before execution

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

That option refer to an action "before execution". That means before the backup execution.
By default, the backup is also tested after the backup execution, but this is not about that test.

If that option is selected:
1. The backup versions are tested from the oldest one to the last one.
2. The catalog is repaired if there are any problems found.
3. The actual backup process will start.
4. The test after backup is executed.
5. The backup execution is finished.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your reply. You confirmed what I thought. I have two points.

1. The test after the backup you mention at bullet point 4 is only executed if the settings “Test after backup”is set (which is the default), am I correct? Usually “Remove from catalog all files with errors” is also set, because this is also the default.

2. If your answer to my point 1 is yes (which I assume it is), then testing after backup does not depend on the setting of the option “Verify backup integrity before execution”. However, and this is the reason why I think the manual is probably wrong in this case, the first paragraph of the explanation of the option “Verify backup integrity before execution” states: “If this option is selected, the backup catalog will be also repaired after the current backup version is tested if there were files not correctly backed up or missing from the backup destination. Those files will be removed from the backup catalog and they will be backed up again next time the backup is executed”. This paragraph refers to the test performed *after* the backup.
So if your answer to my point 1 above is indeed yes, this paragraph should be removed from the description of “Verify backup integrity before execution” in the manual. This paragraph caused my confusion, even though I thought the “Verify backup integrity before execution” was clear to me just by its wording.

Best regards,

PIm

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. Yes.

2. We will change the text to be more clear about which test phase and which backup version it refers. The scope of the documentation is to explain the options and not to get users confused.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html