The Portable version does not work - This version of Backup4all can run only from an external drive

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
joe_brown

The Portable version does not work - This version of Backup4all can run only from an external drive

Post by joe_brown »

I have downloaded the trial version of Backup4all Portable and installed it onto a USB stick.

When I try to execute the Backup4all.exe binary from the external USB flash drive, all I get is a window with an error message saying "This version of backup4all can run only from an external drive".

First I thought that the problem is, that I did not install it into the default directory suggested by the installer, but on an another attempt, when I have left everything on default during the installation, the result is the same.

Since I intend to use it to backup important files from my work notebook, where I do not have administrator privileges to install most of the software around, it is for me important to get a usable backup software capable to work without having to install it using admin privs - but this one does not seem to keep what it promises.

Cheers,
Joe

joe_brown

Re: The Portable version does not work - This version of Backup4all can run only from an external drive

Post by joe_brown »

OK, I'll answer myself .. the point is, that its not any portable USB drive, but one with U3 support ..
- it would be nice if this would be clear from the name of the downloaded version and from manual / the error messages.

Cheers,
Joe

Adrian (Softland)

Re: The Portable version does not work - This version of Backup4all can run only from an external drive

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can run the Portable edition of Backup4all only from an administrator account.

If you want to use it from a limited account type, please use Backup4all Portable edition for U3.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html