Onedrive for Business 1TB backup best strategies

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
zappozeppo

Onedrive for Business 1TB backup best strategies

Post by zappozeppo »

Hi,
finally version 6.1 is out and we can use our TeraByte spaces on Office 365 OneDrive for Business as backup target.

But now we have to set best strategies to optimize uploading and downloading.
We are of course using fast connections (100 Mb/s or more), otherwise the up-speed will kill our backups sense.

Imagine having a 100 GB set of data (folder trees) to backup in incremental mode.
We have to set it compressed, because OneDrive for Business doesn't allow long paths for files.
And we have to avoid big ZIPs, because of risks having hangs transfering them.
Which will the best size for ZIPs be? 100 MB each one ? it means 100 ZIPs per Gigabyte, 10000 ZIPs per 100 GB ...

When we'll need to restore a single file, the catalog is on our machine, but will we have to download the whole set of zips to estract it, or Backup4all will download only the ZIP portions containing the file we were searching for?

Did someone in Backup4all staff try it? with which settings?
Anyone already went into these problems?

Thanks to everybody
ZZ

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Onedrive for Business 1TB backup best strategies

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can split the zip files at 1-2 GB.
If you use the "Create independent splits" option from Backup Properties->Compression, if you want to extract a single file, only the zip containing that file will be downloaded (information from catalog will let us know which files are in each zip).

Homelab

Post by Homelab »

As for creating independent zip's, I'm new to Backup4all and in trying to backup 2TB of data I'm preferring NON-independent zip's however what would be very useful would be to limit a zip group to xGB.

I'm thinking forward to the day I need to restore from the cloud and would need to download 2TB of data before I could begin to restore.

So, I'd love to have to ability to define the max zip group size.

p.s. I've been trying 8 other backup products and Backup4all is clearly at the top, and I say that regardless of cost. It provides the file versioning, ease of restore of versions and uses a straight forward storage method. I've been super impressed.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

In Backup4all you can create independent zip files or not. There is no way to create zip groups.
We recommend you to create independent splits as downloading 2TB of data when you need only few files, is time consuming.

goodlad

Post by goodlad »

for me it works well