Incremental Backup - What would happen if....

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
iBeta

Incremental Backup - What would happen if....

Post by iBeta »

Say that DLS occurs, or some other event that messes with the time modified attribute. If the incremental series uses time modified as a compare criteria the only way to get a correct incremental backup will be to take off time modified and replace with CRC. My question is, can subsequent incremental backups use the time modified attribute again?
The problem for me is that I have the data on a TrueCrypt disk, so cannot use disk block backups. There are 400GB of files and folders, and have tried Acronis, Nero, Commodo etc etc. All of them start making full backups for apparently no reason (well I guess the time modified attributes got altered), and most of them give you no chance to choose the file compare method - madness.
So I really like this program, the only problem is that multithreading is not used which gives Backup4all 13% max cpu, and means the CRC checks take a long time. But if these only have to be done once in a while then this is imho way more adaptable and reliable than the other file/folder backups out there.
On Edit -
While here, have to say how good the 'statistics' page is - you can try a compare item, then look at the result without starting a backup. I can't remember seeing this feature anywhere else.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Incremental Backup - What would happen if....

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Yes, the subsequent backups can use the modified attribute again. You just need to enable it under Backup Properties.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

iBeta

Post by iBeta »

Thanks for the information. This really is a good programme.
Do you have any plans to use scaling in the future?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

At this moment we don't have plans to use scaling in the near future.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

rgeis

Post by rgeis »

You can manually set the affinity to the backup4all process and leave it running....