Have issue with mirror copy and destination directory

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
mrbugs

Have issue with mirror copy and destination directory

Post by mrbugs »

Hello,
I have a issue/question on how to accomplish a proper mirror copy. We are a dental facility and have a backup server in the event our main server crashes. There is 1 subdirectory (data) that changes throughout the day. At the end of the day, I want to mirror copy all of the elements in the directory to an exact copy directory on a backup server.

I have a sub directory on my C drive called data which is constantly changing throughout the day. At the end of the day, I want to mirror copy that subdirectory's data elements to another sub directory on a backup server so in the event of an outage, the backup server is ready to go.

My problem is getting all the files (and all additions throughout the day) to the exact subdirectory on the backup machine. When I select the source as the subdirectory c:\Eaglesoft\Data and the destination (mapped) drive as the backup server e:\Eaglesoft\Data it puts a subdirectory of Data in the existing subdirectory Data instead of each file. I unchecked "copy files in a subfolder".

Can you help me please? I have 3 copies of versions 4.9.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Have issue with mirror copy and destination directory

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

I'm not sure if I correctly understood the situation.
Try to use this folder as backup destination: "E:\Eaglesoft" this way, there will be only one "Data" subfolder in destination.
If that is not a solution, please send me the last backup log to support[at]backup4all[dot]com.

mrbugs

Post by mrbugs »

I have manually created the destination directory to match what is in the Backup for all preferences. This is pushing the backup over the internet to a remote site. The remote site has a copy (185,000 files) already installed from a external hard drive copy.

The files total 150GB and doing it over an internet connection is just too cumbersome. I already have the data in the remote destination, but when I run your program, it wants to copy everything as new. I turned off creation date in the criteria but when I run the program, it wants to build it from scratch.

Any way to avoid this the first run? I want it to compare to the remote, realize the files are already there and then copy just the new or modified files.

Can't seem to find any way to do this.

Thanks,

Don

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please note Backup4all uses its own backup catalog to determine which files were backed up.
Were those files copied in destination by Backup4all? if not, the source files will be backed up again by Backup4all.
You can use a filter to include only files with date modified after a specific date, in Backup Properties->Filters->Add include.
This way, in backup will be included only new and modified files since the date you select. In such a case, you will be able to restore with Backup4all only the files included in the backup catalog.

mrbugs

Post by mrbugs »

So what is the process (effective process) for doing a large backup (150G with 200,000 files) over a network (SFTP) connection?

Is there some way to "trick" the software during the first backup? Maybe do a local backup first, then move the data via an external drive to the remote location and maybe the catalog would recognize the data if the directory structure matched??? Since the backup was technically done by Backup4all, then just moving the backup to the remote ... any chance it could work ... thinking outside of the box??

According to the software, I will have to wait 192 hours for the backup to complete. Really?

There has to be a better way to manually move the data and then get Backup4all Pro to recognize the data?

Please help and no work around would make large network backups impossible.

Thanks,

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Yes, that is possible with Backup4all: run the first full locally and then move the backup to SFTP.
Here is an article about how to do that: http://www.backup4all.com/kb/backup-str ... p-239.html