External USB 3.0 Seagate expansion drive recognized as internal drive

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
radardog88

External USB 3.0 Seagate expansion drive recognized as internal drive

Post by radardog88 »

I have two external USB 3.0 Seagate expansion drives, one 4 TB and one 8 TB. They both are recognized in Backup4all 5.5 as internal drives for some reason. Therefore it is not possible to use the “Lock the destination to this external hard drive” feature, which I really need to use. I have tried everything I know to get Backup4all to see these drives for what they are – external USB 3.0 drives – but nothing works. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a solution to the problem?

My PC is running Windows 10 Pro
The drives appears as "Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device" in Device Manager

radardog88

Re: External USB 3.0 Seagate expansion drive recognized as internal drive

Post by radardog88 »

Surely, someone has seen this problem before? If not, can the “Lock the destination to this hard drive” feature be added to the Local Hard Drive dialog as an option?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Did you install the drivers for it?
Can you use the safely removal tool for that device in Windows?
Drives are organized in Backup4all based on the information given by the Windows OS.

radardog88

Post by radardog88 »

Hello, and thanks for the reply. The drives are both installed and working properly. I can read/write files to both dives in Windows Explorer. The issue is that Backup4all sees both drives as LOCAL drives, rather than EXTERNAL drives. And, because it sees the drives as LOCAL, the option to “Lock the destination to this external hard drive” is not available. See below screenshots. I want the drives to been seen by Backup4all as EXTERNAL drives so I can use the “Lock the destination to this external hard drive” feature.

[attachment=1]1 Local - lock option NOT available.PNG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]2 External - lock option available.PNG[/attachment]
Attachments
2 External - lock option available.PNG
2 External - lock option available.PNG (107.78 KiB) Viewed 8503 times
1 Local - lock option NOT available.PNG
1 Local - lock option NOT available.PNG (83.87 KiB) Viewed 8503 times

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I understand your problem.
I asked if you can use the safely remove hardware tool from Windows in order to see if Windows sees the drive correctly as External.

radardog88

Post by radardog88 »

Oh, sorry – I wasn’t clear on why you were asking that. Yes, both drives are shown in the Safely Remove Hardware tool and can be ejected (disconnected) using the tool. So it is strange that Windows sees them as external drives, but Backup4all does not. Any ideas on what is going on here?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

In the next release of Backup4all, we will make some changed in order to be able to select the "Lock the destination to this external hard drive" option also for SCSI Disk drives, no matter if they are visible as internal or external drives.

radardog88

Post by radardog88 »

Thank you!