Btray and Shutdown

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
drc

Btray and Shutdown

Post by drc »

Hello all

I'm running Backup4all Professional 7.0.181 and trying to get my backup jobs to shutdown the Windows 10 PC after a successful backup. Therefore, for the backup job under 'Properties > Advanced > 'Run action after backup' I've selected <Shutdown> to run on success.

I was getting a Btray error message after a successful backup (regardless of whether Backup4all was run as an administrator or not) so i checked this forum and found an old message for 2009 regarding Btray and how to disable it (File > Options > Startup and updates > Startup and tray > deslect 'Show Tray icon'). So i tested the shutdown with the 'Show Tray icon' deselected and there appears to be no attempt to shut down the laptop. The backup job is successful, there is no error and the laptop is still up. So I am assuming that the shutdown command requires Btray to be live and therefore the 'Show Tray icon' needs to be selected.

If i examine the logs files of the failed shutdown (with Btray activated) I see a EAccessViolation as the exception class and an exception message : Access violation at address 0197FD7B in module 'bTray.exe'. Read of address 00000008.

A search tells that an "EAccessViolation" error means that a program failed to read or write to system RAM. The only mention of EAccessViolation on this forum dates back to 2014.

BTW: using task manager i make sure that there are no apps running before I start the backup job running.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Btray and Shutdown

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We fixed that problem.
Please download and install Backup4all 7.0.199

drc

Post by drc »

OK - updated to 7.0.199. Ran the backup job and nothing! Backup job was successful. No obvious attempt to shutdown the PC - certainly no error.

NB: the 'Show Tray icon' option is enabled. The task manager shows 'Backup4all - Shutdown Scheduler' as running.

Any other ideas please?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please try to recreate the scheduled task in version 7. Does it works?

drc

Post by drc »

Nope. BTW: now running v7.0.206

So what i did (and understood from your suggestion) was to create a entirely new backup job in the new v7 and run that (as administrator).

Backup successful, laptop not shutdown, no error msg and no obvious attempt to initiate a shutdown. AS per the previous attempts no other programs running when viewing task manager.

Any other suggestions??

drc

Re: Btray and Shutdown - workaround

Post by drc »

Thought people may be interested in my workaround for this.

I create a 'shutdown.bat' and run that.

My shutdown.bat is a simple text file with one line: shutdown -s -f -t 15 -c "shutting down"

It works!

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

We were not able to reproduce the problem here. What version of Windows do you have?

drc

Post by drc »

Windows 10 professional 64 bit.