bSettings.exe crashes

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Gaffer

bSettings.exe crashes

Post by Gaffer »

At the "Checking application folders" dialogue box I am told "Timeout waiting for bSettings.exe to finish. Do you want to reset ..........................You might loose (sic) all your job configurations." No matter what I answer, the program crashes again. If I say no, I get "The operation was canceled (sic) by the user(1223). Do you want to reset.............." and so on, and on, and on, in an endless loop.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: bSettings.exe crashes

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. Do you have the latest version of Backup4all 6.1.180? If not, please install it.
2. Do you use an administrator account?
3. Please rename these folders: "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Softland\Backup4all 6\"
and "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\"
Then try again to open Backup4all.

Do you still have the problem?

Gaffer

Post by Gaffer »

I am having the same problem again, but I don't remember how it was solved back in 2016.

This time I am on version 6 build 404 I think. I cannot find bsettings.exe anywhere. I cannot rename of delete the local temp folder as suggested.
I uninstalled and re-installed version 6 and still have the same problem. I suspect the bsettings.exe won't finish for a very simple reason: there is no bsettings.exe on my desktop anywhere!!! They want me to buy a new version, but how do I know the problem will be solved? There is nothing in the new versions I want or need.

Thanks.
Gaffer from Canada

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Dear Gaffer,

Please make sure the antivirus/firewall does not block the bsettings.exe process.
That file has to be in your Backup4all installation folder.
If that file is missing, please uninstall and reinstall Backup4all, making sure the antivirus does not block/remove that file for some reason. Backup4all does NOT contain any virus.

Gaffer

Post by Gaffer »

Tuesday July 23, 2019
Hello: Last night, I went back to the 2016 suggestion about renaming two folders. I renamed backup4all6, but as always was not allowed to rename the temp sub-dir. Lo and behold, I was later able to launch Backup4all6 for the first time in weeks! Now there were no jobs showing, but using a suggestion I saw on the other member's question, I searched and found the ".bkc" files on the destination drive, and somehow was able to load them into my current backup program. So I believe I am back to a normal looking splash screen, and if I remember correctly (it was very late) was able to run a backup to completion. Thanks for your help.
Gaffer fr Canada