Backups to Amazon S3

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
johnb

Backups to Amazon S3

Post by johnb »

I am experimenting with the trial version of Backup4all (trial version) and am impressed with it but have something of a problem in backing up to my existing Amazon S3 account. I have several pre-existing buckets set up with some bucket names starting with a capital letter (Bucket1 for example) and some starting with a lowercase letter (bucket2).

In attempting to configure backup jobs in Backup4all, I can connect to my S3 account but the program does not recognize any bucket with a name starting with an uppercase letter (Bucket1). Is this a "feature" of Backup4all or am I missing some configuration setting?

I know that Amazon accepts both uppercase and lowercase letters in bucket names because I created the buckets from within the S3 Console. I very much like Backup4all but am not willing to go through the considerable work it would take to recreate all the buckets just to satisfy the backup program.

JohnB

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backups to Amazon S3

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

There are multiple possible locations for buckets, for example buckets located in US region, does not allow uppercase letters. That is why we don't use/accept buckets with uppercase letters in Backup4all.
See here the rules for bucket naming: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/lat ... tions.html