Backup4all can't shut down PC via scheduled task

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
l2p0

Backup4all can't shut down PC via scheduled task

Post by l2p0 »

I'm trying to configure a backup that will shut down the PC when it finishes, and it's not working.
(Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, with only one user, who is member of Administrator group; Backup4all 7.3 Build 403)
The job is configured to run <Shut down /f> when it finishes. The scheduler is set to use the one user account, whether it's logged in or not.)
The backup runs successfully and ends with:
Backup completed in 3 second(s) at 8/21/2018 8:00:30 PM with 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
[8/21/2018 8:00:30 PM] Execute after action: "<Shut down /f>". Run only once: "No"
[8/21/2018 8:01:23 PM] Opening file "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Softland\Backup4all 7\Catalogs\Shutdown Test.bkc"
[8/21/2018 8:01:23 PM] Run program/action "<Shut down /f>"
[8/21/2018 8:01:44 PM] Could not find running instances of bShutdownSched.exe or bShutdown.exe in order to process "saPowerOff" notification
[8/21/2018 8:01:44 PM] SetShutdownRights failed with error: Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller(1300)
[8/21/2018 8:01:44 PM] ExitWindowsEx failed with error: A required privilege is not held by the client(1314)
[8/21/2018 8:01:44 PM] Warning: Could not execute action "<Shut down /f>". Reason: "A required privilege is not held by the client (1314)"

bShutdownSched.exe is visible in the task manager, running, and bShutdown.exe appears to run at the end of the job.
When I watched my (newly created) test job run, it ended with two "your computer is about to shut down, press cancel..." pop-up boxes with a 10 second countdown, appearing one after the other, then nothing.

When I manually run the job, it works.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup4all can't shut down PC via scheduled task

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. Have you tried to run the default action <Shut down> ?
2. Do you used an administrator account to schedule the job?
3. Is there any error/warning message in Windows Event Viewer for the shutdown time?

l2p0

Post by l2p0 »

Hello,
1. Yes, I tried just <Shut down> first, with the same result.
2. Yes, this is all being done on an administrator account.
3. I can't say for certain, as I can't check right now, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see any entries in the Event Viewer that appeared to be related.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If the backup is scheduled, please go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Task Scheduler.
Edit the task and select the "Run with highest privileges" option.

If you still have the problem, try to create a batch file with the shutdown command. Load the file in Backup4all to be executed after the backup. Set the batch file to run as administrator.

drc

Post by drc »

I had exactly the same problem last year. You can see the thread under the title 'Btray and Shutdown'.

In the end i used a workaround. I created a 'shutdown.bat' and run that.

My shutdown.bat is a simple text file with one line: shutdown -s -f -t 15 -c "shutting down"

It works!