Activation error 14 thrown on processing

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
jackie999

Activation error 14 thrown on processing

Post by jackie999 »

I've been running v5 for a long time without problems. Two weeks ago (I think after a windows 10 update) it wouldn't load, needing activation. I've tried downloading again and it tells me activation is successful, restarts only to be asked for key/activation screen again. I have been running v4 in the mean time and hesitate to update if it won't work either. Any suggestions?

njc

Re: Activation error 14 thrown on processing

Post by njc »

I'm having the same problem.

Thanks,
Nick

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

We have been receiving reports of failed activations in the last days from very old, unsupported versions of Backup4all.

If you are using Windows 11, activations of Backup4all v5 and v6 will fail, Windows Updates could cause this. We investigated reports for activation issues of Backup4all v5 on Windows 8 and Windows 10/Server 2016 and Backup4all v6 on Windows 10/Server 2016. We have no solution for them. We will not fix Backup4all v5 and v6 (given that we don't support these
versions anymore).

Back in 2019 and 2021 when we announced the retirement of Backup4all v5 respectively Backup4all v6, the software was still compatible with the OSs released up until then. However because we are no longer maintaining the codebase for an unsupported version and Windows is still releasing patches and updates for its operating systems, this broke the functionality of Backup4all v5 and v6.

My suggestion is to upgrade to Backup4all v9 at:
https://upgrade.backup4all.com
You will receive a new license key, download link and installation instructions by email.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

miqrogroove

Post by miqrogroove »

Backup4all v5.5 activation system has locked me out too. I can't see any way to view or restore files. I understand the reluctance to fix an old product, but I won't invest in backup software that randomly locks me out. The last time I got locked out was due to a hard drive failure and I couldn't restore anything until support unlocked my program. This is a bad pattern.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

At least have some decency and release a patch for deprecated versions. I'm not buying a new one, I have no guarantee Softland won't pull the same extortion stunt with the next version of windows. Lifetime purchase at Softland clearly means valid for the current OS only. Pity they didn't say that at the time.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

When version 5 and 6 of Backup4all were released back in time, the newer versions of Windows (10 and 11) did not exist.
Those versions of Backup4all are no longer supported since many years ago. They still works on old versions of Windows XP, 7 and 8, which also are no longer supported by Microsoft.
Currently we develop only version 9 of Backup4all which is fully compatible with Windows 10 and 11.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

miqrogroove

Post by miqrogroove »

I've changed my mind and decided to try Backup4all v9 to compare with other products. I seriously considered switching to Macrium Reflect, but I need more time to evaluate my options. If there are ongoing problems with restoring after hardware changes or viewing backups after windows updates then I would be forced to make that switch.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I'm glad you decided to continue with Backup4all. If you have any questions or problems with it, you can write an email to support[at]backup4all[dot]com