Restore Is Not Working

Have questions about Backup4all, or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
Vze29tvd

Restore Is Not Working

Post by Vze29tvd »

Restore is not working. This is the third time I have told Backup4All about this problem. Here are the entries from the log:

[6/13/2018 5:23:44 PM] Restored folder F:\RestoreB\B\I\MagicISO\
[6/13/2018 5:23:46 PM] Error: Decompression error
[6/13/2018 5:23:46 PM] Closing file ":memory:"
Restored 129170 file(s) and 16480 folder(s)
Restore operation finished in 1:04:57 hour(s) at 6/13/2018 5:23:46 PM with 1 errors
[6/13/2018 5:23:46 PM] Error: Decompression error
[6/13/2018 5:23:46 PM] Closing file "U:\Softland\Backup4All_7\Catalogs\All1(1).bkc"
[6/13/2018 5:23:46 PM] Closing file "U:\Softland\Backup4All_7\Backup4all.hst"

The file currently being uuzipped, All1.1_B026, definitely has an error. Here is the message WinZip outputs when it tries to unzip All1.1_B026:
"Unable to find the local header for I\Win_10_Upgrade\Win10_1607_English_x64_3.iso".

In the short run, the fix for this problem is easy: just annunciate the decompression error and continue the restore. We have to have our data back! In the long run, making independent splits is not as hard as Backup4All makes it. See the next paragraph for a suggestion.

I have a new algorithm for allocating files to CD, DVD, or Blu-ray discs. If you would like me to send you the pseudo-code, just mention it. I would split up a long file that did not fit a disc before zipping, rather than during or after. It might waste a few bytes of disc space, though it does not have to, but splitting up a zip file is obviously too complex to do it right.

The timeout period on the forum is very short; it logged me out in mid-sentence, flushing all that typing.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Restore Is Not Working

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The problem in that case is that the zip file is corrupt or the RAM memory is faulty. Try to repair the zip file using WinZip.

As per the large files, splitting them before zipping, could result in a waste of discs, as some files can be compressed for example to 10% or more. Splitting a file of 6 GB in 4 and 2 GB and then compress the splits, could result in 2 zip files of 400 MB and 200 MB each on a separate disc.

Vze29tvd

Post by Vze29tvd »

You do not understand, and you are in denial. Please take the time to understand what is being written.

> The problem in that case is that the zip file is corrupt or the RAM memory is faulty.
RAM memory is ECC. ECC memory corrects single-bit errors and annunciates multi-bit errors. There are no memory errors. Nevertheless, I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic; it found no memory errors.

The Zip file is not corrupt in the sense you mean; it is missing a critical part -- a local header that Backup4All failed to put there.

> Try to repair the zip file using WinZip.
WinZip reports:"Unable to find the local header for I\Win_10_Upgrade\Win10_1607_English_x64_3.iso". How does one use WinZip to put into the Zip file a critical component -- a local header file -- that Backup4All failed to add?
You tell me how to repair the Zip file with WinZip or Java, which has an extensive Zip library, and I will attempt it.

The part you do not understand is that I have been using Backup4All since before 2011. During all that time creating independent splits of long files has never worked correctly. In the past, during the testing phase of a backup job, Backup4All would detect the broken split file and enunciate a warning, although the long file was not truly backed up. As far as I know, restores worked, probably because the incorrectly split up long file was just ignored. Recently, Softland changed the making of an independent split out of a long file failure into an error instead of a warning. This was a logical move since the long file was not correctly backed up. However, since that change restores have not worked.

It is not that some restores don't work; it is a fact that every restore that I have tried in 2018 has failed. These were of backup jobs that were initiated in 2018. And, I have tried to restore all three of the system backup jobs, and none of the restores have run to completion. The failure, except for the catalog file name, is the same for every restore attempt:
[6/21/2018 9:15:44 AM] Error: Decompression error
[6/21/2018 9:15:44 AM] Closing file ":memory:"
Restored 242959 file(s) and 82737 folder(s)
Restore operation finished in 2:24:33 hour(s) at 6/21/2018 9:15:44 AM with 1 errors
[6/21/2018 9:15:44 AM] Error: Decompression error
[6/21/2018 9:15:44 AM] Closing file "U:\Softland\Backup4All_7\Catalogs\All2.bkc"

Recently, my FreeNAS Network Attached Storage Appliance has failed. All my documents are inaccessible. I have three system B4A backup jobs -- each runs every third day -- and one Documents B4A backup job that runs daily. All four of those jobs have copies of those documents. Softland/Backup4All must make the documents on those backup jobs accessible!

> As per the large files, splitting them before zipping, could result in a waste of discs, as some files can be compressed for example to 10% or more. Splitting a file of > 6 GB in 4 and 2 GB and then compress the splits, could result in 2 zip files of 400 MB and 200 MB each on a separate disc.

Use the Bin-Packing algorithm.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

In order to see exactly what happened, please send us to support[at]backup4all[dot]com the following files:
1. The last backup log for the backup no. 1.
2. Run a test for that backup (no. 1) from Backup4all and send us the last test log.