Two wishlist items

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
mjcatt

Two wishlist items

Post by mjcatt »

I am evaluating Backup4all pro and I am very pleased with the features, functionality and documentation. I particularly like the open-file backup operation and the fact that the backups can be easily accessed later without using Backup4all. Compared to other backup software I have tried (quite a few), I would rate this 4-stars out of 5. The purpose of this post is to provide wishlist feedback for what what would make this product 5-star, at least FOR MY PURPOSES:

1. (most important). inclusion of a disk image backup option that can be accessed via windows repair disk or installation disk to efficiently recover from catastrophic failures (my main interest is the bootable system image); I realize I can do this through windows backup, but the following features would make it very desirable to have this in Backup4all:
a. Convenience of managing all backups from one application.
b. Ability to define multiple system image backups from any combination of source and destination disks.

2. Ability to run the pre-backup and post-backup commands with administrator-level privileges and/or from the SYSTEM account. As an example, because of the lack of system image backup described above, I defined a file backup job with a post-backup command to run a windows task-scheduler task I had defined that executes the windows system image backup application targeting the same disk as the main Backup4all file backup job. This is inconvenient because the system image backup application needs to run from the SYSTEM account (hence the use of task scheduler as a "convenient" or possible approach) but I had to run task scheduler from the Backup4all application (post-backup command) with administrator privileges), which required me to run Backup4all as administrator, which I would rather not do if possible (also, there is always the pesky popup warning asking if it is ok for Backup4all to make changes to the device when launching as administrator).
Thanks for your consideration.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Two wishlist items

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and the 2 wishlist items.
The first one is already on our wishlist, but I cannot tell when it will be implemented.
The second one can be achieved now. You can create a batch file to run before/after the backup. Set the batch file to run as administrator in Windows. This way, when it will be executed, it will run with administrator permissions.

mjcatt

Post by mjcatt »

Thanks for the reply. The solution to item 2 was so obvious I overlooked it since I was simply running a single command, so putting the command in a bat file makes it simple to run as administrator. For completeness for anyone reading this post in the future, I should point out that you cannot assign administrator privileges directly to a bat file. You must create a shortcut to the bat file and then assign the administrator privileges to the shortcut.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Yes, that is correct.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html