Keep the capitalisation

Tell us what you think about Backup4all and what would make it even better.
Vic D'Elfant

Keep the capitalisation

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

Ever since I started using Backup4all, I noticed that it seems to mix up capitals in file/folder names as soon as there has been an earlier occurence in the backup catalog with the same basename. As an example:
  • There's a folder named C:\foo\Finances
  • There's another folder named "finances" in C:\foo\bar\finances - note the lowercase "f"
Backup4all will back up - and restore - the folder C:\foo\bar\finances as C:\foo\bar\Finances, because the uppercase version of Finances came first. This might not seem important at first sight, but it becomes very, very annoying if there are SVN working copies being backed up (which then get more or less corrupted), or if you have strict policies with regards to folder naming in a company, like we do.

Is there any chance this behavior could be corrected?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Keep the capitalisation

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

At this time, the behavior cannot be changed.
We added your request on our Wishlist.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

lwizard

Post by lwizard »

If it really loose capitalization, is very sad.
I spend a lot of time in correctly naming my files (including caps for names..)

lwizard

Post by lwizard »

Well. I've tried a full restore on second PC: I don't have any capitalisation issue.
For me it's all ok. All caps are kept in the right place.

Rebeccah

Post by Rebeccah »

I strongly second the request to keep the capitalization of the filenames and folder names. I had to spend an entire day this weekend troubleshooting a Java web application development project that wouldn't build, and it turned out it was because MANIFEST.MF was restored as manifest.mf.

Fortunately, I discovered this *before* returning my old laptop to IT, so I had time to run an additional utility on the old laptop to capture the directory hierarchy with folder names intact, and I hope to merge that in with my restored data on the new laptop. However, it doesn't help for filenames. What a Pain in the Rear End.

Other than that (and one other beef regarding behavior in the event of failure writing the backup catalog), I really like this software, so I do hope the developer will take this request to heart.

Rebeccah